BELLEVUE, Wash., Jan. 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Expedia Inc. is proud to be hosting its first public hackathon in Seattle, featuring Expedia's global Application Program Interfaces (APIs), on January 29-31, 2016, at The University of Washington Startup Hall.
The Expedia Worldwide Engineering team and other local software developers and innovators will gather together for a weekend dedicated to developing new ideas and programming concepts, while experimenting with Expedia's renowned global software. Participants will turn creative ideas into working prototypes in just two days with the help of their team and Expedia support staff. Final products will be pitched to a panel of judges consisting of members from Expedia's technology team and Seattle-based industry authorities including John Kim (Chief Product Officer of Brand Expedia), Susan Preston (Manager of Seattle Angel Fund) and Todd Bishop (Co-Founder and Editor of GeekWire). Winning prizes include $8,000 in cash prizes and Expedia+ rewards points.
"Expedia is proud of the software developed by our teams here in Seattle and worldwide, which has positioned us as a pioneer in travel and technology. Bringing in other creative minds serves two important purposes for us: first, it allows us to give back to the community and share our code base with others interested in travel; second, it helps us connect with locals who are passionate about technology and brainstorm unique concepts together," said Tony Donohue, SVP and CTO, Expedia Worldwide Engineering at Expedia, Inc. "We are incredibly excited to host our first public hackathon in the Seattle area and can't wait to see what the impressive technology talent in this region develops!"
Everyone is welcome, but space is limited: register early as participants will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Registration is available online at expedia-seattle-hackathon.devpost.com. Deadline is Friday, January 29, 2016 at noon PDT and doors open at 5:30 p.m. for check-in. Teams must be formed by Friday at 10 p.m., and will present their projects to the judges on Sunday, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
More information about Expedia Hackathon 2016 requirements, rules and judging criteria on expedia-seattle-hackathon.devpost.com. Hashtag: #expediahackathon.
About Expedia, Inc.
Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE) is one of the world's leading travel companies, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes leading online travel brands, such as:
- Expedia.com®, a leading full service online travel company with localized sites in 32 countries
- Hotels.com®, the hotel specialist that offers Hotels.com® Rewards and Secret Prices through its mobile booking apps and localized websites in more than 65 countries
- Hotwire®, a leading discount travel site that offers Hot Rate® Hotels, Hot Rate® Cars and Hot Rate® Airfares, as well as vacation packages
- Travelocity®, a pioneer in online travel and a leading online travel brand in the US and Canada
- Orbitz Worldwide, a global travel portfolio including Orbitz, ebookers, HotelClub and CheapTickets, brands and business-to-business offerings, including Orbitz Partner Network and Orbitz for Business
- Egencia®, a leading corporate travel management company
- Venere.com™, an online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- trivago®, a leading online hotel search with sites in 52 countries worldwide
- Wotif Group, a leading portfolio of travel brands including Wotif.com®, Wotif.co.nz, lastminute.com.au®, lastminute.co.nz and travel.com.au®
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of online and in-market concierge services, activities, experiences and ground transportation in hundreds of destinations worldwide
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
- Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, a provider of exceptional value and expert advice for travelers booking cruises and vacations through its network of 200 retail travel agency franchises across North America
- CarRentals.com™, the premier car rental booking company on the web
The company delivers consumers value in leisure and business travel, drives incremental demand and direct bookings to travel suppliers, and provides advertisers the opportunity to reach a highly valuable audience of in-market consumers through Expedia® Media Solutions. Expedia also powers bookings for thousands of affiliates, including some of the world's leading airlines, top consumer brands and high traffic websites through Expedia Affiliate Network. For corporate and industry news and views, visit us at www.expediainc.com or follow us on Twitter @expediainc.
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2016 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/expedia-to-host-local-hackathon-in-seattle-300202638.html
SOURCE Expedia, Inc.